The Reference Library of UNIC New Delhi is the focal point and vital source of information on the work of the United Nations. It provides information on the United Nations through data, documents, newsletters, pamphlets, posters, books, audio/video tapes and CDs. It contains the official records of the six main organs of the United Nations and some flagship publications/reports of the UN and its agencies, including specialized agencies. The library fulfils information demands from governmental institutions, NGOs, educational institutions, academic and other research centres, journalists, academicians, students and the public at large.
In January 2008, UNIC Library expanded its scope by incorporating major publications of five other UN agencies in New Delhi: FAO, UNAIDS, UNCTAD, UNFPA and UNHCR. In the spirit of One UN, the library will function as an inter-agency library providing information, reference services and access to the partner agencies publications.
Broadly, the subject coverage of the library is as follows:
- Information on the history of the United Nations as well as its structure and substantive activities and programmes.
- Basic texts, like Charter of the UN, Basic Facts about the United Nations, Yearbook of the UN, Annual Reports of the Secretary-General on the Work of the Organization, etc.
- Major economic, social and statistical sources like World Economic and Social Survey, Statistical Yearbook, National Accounts Statistics, World Development Report, World Investment Reports, International Trade Statistics Yearbooks,, Industrial Commodity Statistics Yearbooks, Trade and Development Report, Demographic Yearbooks, Human Development Report, The Education for All Global Monitoring Report, World Health Report, Energy Statistics Yearbook, The World’s Women, etc.
- Major economic, social and statistical sources on Asia and the Pacific, Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean, Africa and West Asia.
- Major legal and political publications like Disarmament Yearbook, The Blue Helmets, The United Nations Blue Books Series, Human Rights: a compilation of International Instruments, UN Juridical Yearbooks, UN Treaty Series, Yearbooks of the International Law Commission, UNCITRAL Yearbooks etc.
United Nations Documents
The library serves as a repository for the print official records of the main organs of the UN (General Assembly, Security Council, Economic & Social Council, the Secretariat, the Trusteeship Council and the International Court of Justice. These records include resolutions, records of the subsidiary committees and other bodies established by the main organs, supplements to the official records, and annual reports by organs and bodies, meeting records of special conferences, etc. These official records are also accessible through ODS database which provides on-line access to full text of all types of official UN documentation, from 1993. ODS also provides access to the resolutions of the General Assembly, Security Council, Economic and Social Council and the Trusteeship Council from 1946 onwards. Official records of UNCTAD – Conference proceedings, committee meetings, Trade & Development Board meeting records with annexes and supplements.
Main publications of GATT, ITC, WTO, WHO, UNDP, UNU, WMO, WIPO, UNESCO, UNICEF, UNIDO etc. are also available.
Literature produced by UN and its agencies on different legal, political, economic and social issues is available. Some of the areas covered are: international law, law of the sea, environment, climate change, population, housing/shelter, refugees, human rights, women, peacekeeping, children, crime, transport, terrorism, tourism, disabled, nuclear energy, poverty, outer space, HIV/AIDS, etc.
The library is open to students, researchers, journalists, diplomats, government officials, NGOs and all other visitors interested in a wide range of reference material on all aspects of the UN system.
Personalized reference service and guidance is provided to library users. Inquires or requests in written or electronic format about the UN and its activities are responded to and information material mailed free of cost.
Recently, the library has started preparing a monthly list of “New Additions” available on the UNIC library website. It lists subject wise all publications, received from various UN agencies and included in the library collection.
Use of library Computers
Access to UNIC in-house bibliographical databases is available to users for searching documents from the library holdings. The library offers access to UN Electronic Resources as well databases like ODS, Press Releases, UN Treaty Collection, UN-I-Que. Internet use from the library terminals, for non-authorized, illegal and private purposes is strictly prohibited. Printing from Internet files is not permitted.
UNIC Reference Library is open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m, Monday to Friday, on all working days.